Wednesday, January 21, 2009

I love fine service so bad

from phoebe damrosch's riveting account of her days as a captain at NYC's per se, which I tore through during a duo of boring lectures today:

the staff was taught to place the spiegelau wineglass to the right of the guest, aligned with the outer edge of the ercuis knife. however, should a waiter notice the guest had consistently moved the wineglass to their left, that waiter was to immediately notify the rest of the dining room staff of the change, such that the position of the glass would not be disturbed by an overeager backwaiter, and so that all subsequent wineglasses (meals are multicourse affairs at per se, with multiple wines to match) might be placed in this same, leftward position.

p.s. mom just joking I was obviously not reading in class.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am glad that you anticipated my comment! I am so relieved that you were just joking - I am sure that you read it outside of class. And on another note, don't we have that sort of wine glass now! I am so excited that it's mentioned in a book!