Tuesday, May 29, 2007

lighting design

I think that in my future homes, I will require that all lamps be controllable both locally, at the light itself, and also at an appropriately located wall switch. both locations will of course allow for dimming, as well as perhaps a preset or two. so far I have not found any way to wire a lamp such that it can operate in concert with a wall switch in a 3-way manner, but surely I am not the first person to require this modicum of lighting control flexibility. I will continue to investigate the matter.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

snooooooze
why can't we just get some clap-on/clap-off lights. then we can control them from anywhere!

simon said...

um, obviously I would have my lights plugged into my computer. I assumed this went without saying. there would be discrete lcd panels here and there, perhaps. or maybe just a handful of wireless lcd tablets. I will have to think about it.

Anonymous said...

what (zzzz) does that even (zzzzzzz) mean?

i can't believe that the day has come when reading about MM, ALL, AML, CLL, CML, HUS/TTP, DIC, HIT, ETC is more exciting than EV. i mean, lcd panels? i'm not quite sure what they are but boooooring.

Anonymous said...

when i was little we had a family friend who had a lamp with a houseplant growing around it, and the light turned on when you touched the leaves. that was interesting, but i have no idea how he did the wiring!

Anonymous said...

My parents have this set up in their bedroom. So long as the wall switch is "on" (dimmer is at wall) you can also control the lamp at the bedside. So they leave the wall switch on, and then control it directly at the bed or by adjusting the dimmer on the wall. I personally find it annoying becuase you can turn the lamp off at the bedside, and then the wall switch doesn't work... But it can be done. My father is a master of lighting...

simon said...

anonymous, so you see my problem - I need to be able to turn the lamp on and off regardless of whether the wall switch is on or off. perhaps I should discuss the matter with your father.

bronwen maybe I will start a moss lamp. too bad my moss is a dismal failure so far.