Monday, September 11, 2006

sesame oil

I am a big fan of fat and oil. more so the fats, as they give you butter (a close relative of my good friend whipping cream) and lard, but oils are pretty sweet too. I think they all have a bad rap. or rep, I am not sure. I could see rap, because a rap sheet is a thing, but then again I do not really know what a rap sheet is. is it a list of bad guys? or is it a list of things a bad guy has done? either way I guess one could have a bad rap sheet. but I could also see rep being short for reputation. maybe I will look that up later, a little etymological treat for before bed.

anyway, when I think about it, I have not really explored the world of oils. canola, chili, olive, sesame, truffle. that is pretty much it I guess. five oils. in the world of oils that is like north america plus cuba and belize. I do not even know what belize is. is it related to brazil? it is pretty small on a map, smaller than cuba but I think bigger than jamaica. definitely bigger than the bahamas, but I will bet the bahamas has more coastline. (have? another treat for before bed!)

so yeah oils, I have made some oils in the past, lemon (key for the amateur foodie classic, the thomas keller salmon cornet), mint, onion, chive, thyme, clove, but they are really just flavoured oil derivatives. I feel I am missing out on many key basics. I would enjoy if grapeseed were my house oil, and of course there are all the nut oils (I feel I could really connect with peanut, and what about almond and walnut?). clearly we are just talking liquid oils. do not get me started on the fats.

so really the moral of the story here, what is up with sesame oil? the bottle always gets really oily, more so than any other oil bottle. just food for thought I guess. PUN INTENDED. I LOVE A GOOD PUN.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of oil/oily, this is a funny coincidence that you wrote about it tonight. When I was at valumart today and went to get some PC olive oil the bottle was oily. So I picked up another. It was oily too!! Turned out they were all oily, something must have spilled. So I got a different brand which is actually cheaper than the PC oily oil. I will let you know how it is.

Anonymous said...

Simon.

(a) "Grapeseed" oil is a bit of a fringe culinary item. Much more widely used is the unfortunately named "rapeseed" oil which is the same as canola.

(b) Sesame oil bottles would only ever be oily because Chinese supermarkets/purveyors maintain poor standards in terms of handling materials.

(c) In terms of cooking oils, to disregard the entire cooking fats family, there are only a few worth mentioning, which is why you have handled so few. Corn oil, vegetable oil, and their ilk are completely superfluous, lower grade, lower brow versions of their purer/better tasting cousins, including canola (rapeseed) and extra virgin olive oil. Peanut is really used only in Asian cuisine and, at that, for deep frying. Then you only have the flavoured oils, with which you have extensive experience, for the simple reason that once you have made one, you have made them oil.

Much more interesting is the wide world of animal fats and their various uses.

simon said...

aldous surely you are being fat-uous. grapeseed oil is a distinct product from rapeseed, or canola, oil. it is favoured for a very high smoke point, one of the highest, as well as a very neutral taste (for that reason rick tromonto prefers it for his flavoured oils, if I am not mistaken). wiki tells me it is the oil of the vitis vinifera grape, which you will surely recognize as the key species used in old world winemaking. canola, on the other hand, is the product of a member of the mustard family, brassica napus.

Anonymous said...

Simon,

This I understand; however, I would urge you to test out the flavourlessness and smoke point on that canola. A much more affordable product for home use than its similarly-named cousin - more budget for grasse d'oie.

Anonymous said...

An addendum re: peanut oil. This is not to suggest that all of those American fry joints that have sold out and switched from beef fat to peanut oil are thus making Asian cuisine. They are merely not doing the noble potato justice.

Anonymous said...

for all of the people.com lovers out there, we are hoping we can convince mila to start a gossip blog...we'd be big supporters- her first story? brit and kevin's new baby boy- born tues at 2am.

Anonymous said...

thanks anonymous, i am flattered.

actually, i was quite dismayed by how late people.com was in reporting on the new baby.

speaking of which, what training i have received in obstetrics has made me a bit suspicious wrt britney and k-fed's coital frequency. sean preston was born on september 14 and baby #2 arrived on september 12, one year later. what is so special about mid-october in the spears/federline household? perhaps canadian thanksgiving is a sexier holiday than i thought.

simon said...

please mila, I expected more of you. surely you are aware of the preferential treatment given to people by britney. one can only assume that people was playing it cool in the hopes of continuing to be britney's choice outlet for news releases and announcements. honestly.

Anonymous said...

Mila, if the Brittany babies were born in mid September they would be conceived in mid December. Babies take 40 weeks to hatch. Perhaps you should take a few more ob/gyn courses! And I am confused as the People/Us/Star magazine I saw at the food store said she was having a girl!

Anonymous said...

"mom", i am and always have been bad at math. either that or i confused skanks with sharks, which do have an 11 month gestation period.