Tuesday, September 12, 2006

mint chocolate chip

I would say that my two favourite ice cream flavours are pralines and cream and mint chocolate chip. there are enough pralines and creams at the store, so that is okay. but there is just one variety of mint chocolate chip, and it is one of those ghetto ones in the cardboard box. we are talking no lid here, just soggy cardboard flaps. why does every brand not have a mint chocolate chip in its lineup? I would concede that mint double-c might not make the medal round competing against vanilla, chocolate and strawberry, but surely it would hit the top 5. are kids today too good for chocolate flakes in green ice cream? am I passe? is mcc too 90s? someone just tell me, because I am not above changing ice cream alliances to stay in with the cool kids.

by the way, I would say that pralines and cream is probably the most classy ice cream. not trying to toot my own horn here or anything, but if the opera pump fits...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

beep beep

simon said...

okay just an fyi to everyone, mila is trying to make horn tooting noises. she is not swearing at me.

Anonymous said...

I highly recommend you make your own ice cream, especially if somebody in your house likes egg white omelettes. Not that I recommend those.

simon said...

or perhaps you could use the whites for what is perhaps the most perfect separated egg synergy - ice cream and tuiles.

Anonymous said...

Simon,
If you could offer direction as to a manageable tuile-ice cream ratio one might get from 12 whites, that would be fantastic. Unfortunately, my recipe for chocolate gelato uses 12 egg yolks (but strangely, no cream!) and yields about a bit more than a litre of ice cream.

Anonymous said...

P.S. I think that the Silver Spoon must actually be published by the Egg Farmers of Canada.

simon said...

how did this conversation turn this way? I am not making ice cream! I am quite content to buy it at loblaws.

commentator aldous, however, appears to be unsatisfied with commercial ice creams. for more on his views, foodphile.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

Just to say that I am a fan of the food-related/celebrity gossip bent that this blog has adopted. and speaking of animal fats, you foodies should come to montreal. In the Jean Talon market there is a bitcher stall that sells ground venison and ground horse meat! I bet you could get horse fat there for french fry production a la the man who ate everything. also there is so much good cheese it boggles the mind.

simon said...

I write only to please, what can I say?

mmm I could go for some horse right now.