Thursday, September 28, 2006

el grande lie

as part of the multicultural dining program enjoyed at exquisite vanity headquarters, we occasionally take a trip down to old el paso and have mexican nights. my preferred vehicle for mexican flavours is probably the classic taco. I really like the hard taco shells, and the fluorescent orange seasoning mix is pretty sweet too. so mila and I have been having the occasional taco night for a bit over a year now. I have always known mila did not love the hard taco shell. as a concession to me she would always agree to go for the hard shell, but she would often create a taco salad by breaking her shell into little pieces and then dressing it. I thought this was a suitable arrangement, and mila seemed content.

last night we switched things up. went a little loco. instead of the usual taco, we opted for fajitas. and what did mila tell me? THAT SHE DOES NOT LIKE TACOS. WE HAVE BEEN LIVING A MEXICAN LIE THE ENTIRE TIME WE HAVE LIVED HERE.

this presents two problems:
first problem: I do not love fajitas as much as I love tacos. mila, as I now know, no gustas tacos. must we abolish mexican night from the rotation? surely that is drastic, but what else to do?
second problem: what of all my fond memories of taco nights? and what if there are other international nights that mila secretly loathes? que problemas.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

!pobre simoncito!

Anonymous said...

don't you think you could possibly buy the individual packs of shells (both hard and soft) so that both of you could eat as you please?

simon said...

dear anonymous,
the hard vs. soft shell is but one minor component of the larger issue. as I am sure you are aware, taco meat is a vastly different beast than fajita meat, and the accessory toppings are by necessity different as well. thus, even if we were to come to some shell/tortilla accord, there would still be the issue of meat seasoning (not to mention ground vs. sliced).

Anonymous said...

tacos and fajitas have different insides.

simon said...

or I guess you could put it that way.

Anonymous said...

simon, you are so verbose. it's nice that we think the same though.