Tuesday, August 15, 2006

judging a book by its cover, the good

let me start by saying that so far no one to whom I have told this story has really found it to be nearly as interesting as I feel they ought to find it. anyway, dear blog, perhaps you will understand.

I was at a kitchen store a few days ago, shopping for a knife. when I walked in, the store clerk asked if she could help me. I said yes, I was looking for a 10” chef’s. I did not say “10 inch chef’s knife” because the knife part is implied, and so dropping redundant culinary terms just comes naturally to me I guess because I am so immersed in the scene. I am guessing this helped establish my cred. then she brought me a knife, which looked awfully large to me. I asked if she was sure this was the 10”, and she was pretty sure. but I persisted and made her measure it. indeed, she had pulled the 12” from the shelf. so I am guessing my keen optical knife ruler helped reinforce the cred I established just a few seconds ago. then finally as she was getting the correct knife, I noted that victorinox seemed to have added a santoku knife to their lineup. she agreed that it was a new addition, and if I do say so myself, she seemed just as excited as I was regarding the new product. and once again, this knife rapport ratcheted up my cred a few notches.

when it came time to pay, she could not resist but to ask whether I was buying the knife for work. BUYING IT FOR WORK. that means she thought I was a professional chef. that is pretty sweet. PROFESSIONAL CHEF. ORDERING 2 FOIE, FIRE 2 FOIE.

p.s. I am so torn because I was kind of thinking I might enjoy a santoku knife but then wikipedia said they are popular with female chefs. whatever, like that would stop me. did my sunglasses come from the men’s section at zellers? no they did not. but then wiki went on: female chefs, such as rachel ray. rr, you have just ruined an entire family of knives for me, I hope you are happy.

7 comments:

Luke said...

Simon, when I came to the punchline of your story, I was suitably impressed. There is nothing like being mistaken for a professional. For instance, two weeks ago a homeless man mistook me for the lead singer of the Barenaked Ladies, and I had a similar reaction. Perhaps this is a sign that you should ditch that pesky medical school and become a glamorous young chef, with Mila doing wines.

Nick said...

Rachel Ray is a day-ruiner.

simon said...

luke, I am glad at least someone understands.

and nick, are you aware that rachel ray is going to be everyone's new best friend because she has a new talk show? she promises that every week will be fun, but not always funny. mila tells me her first guest will be her husband, a lawyer. sounds neither fun nor funny. sounds like mid-season cancellation.

Anonymous said...

her husband will be one of her first guests, as will oprah (her friend/mentor).

i have nothing against rachel ray, and have actually never seen her on tv. if anything, i think she looks pretty nice in pictures. but i do not want to watch a bunch of non-celebrities playing foosball. in fact, i don't even think i'd want to see celebrities playing.

Luke said...

They should give K-Grease a talk show

Anonymous said...

Although I had already heard this story in RL, I thought it was a good one. I wish I got mistaken for a professional.

P.S. Maybe now that she's TV's new "It" girl (CityTV's words, not mine) she will have even less time to cook food. I can just picture it: a "15-minute meals" or "microwave classics" section on her talk show. Somebody get the meat cleaver - let's disembowel her and replace her innards with EVOO.

Anonymous said...

the wikipedia article on RR is quite funny - fyi.