Monday, July 03, 2006

living the dream

a couple weeks ago I was at jk wine bar with mila for dinner. some brisket poutine, a peameal bacon sandwich, you know, that is just how we rock it in the t-dot. we were sitting at the chef's bar because we are vip's and also because everyone sits at the chef's bar at this restaurant. or else they sit at the wine bar for which the restaurant is aptly named. so we were sitting at the chef's bar, generally chilling with tobey. tobey is the chef there, and I just used her first name to insinuate that I am fairly firmly plugged into the chef scene. as an aside, that would be quite a misleading insinuation, since I was not at all familiar with tobey prior to this evening.

being at the chef's bar you get to hear all the chef banter. including my favourite live piece of chef banter ever that I have heard so far. one of the servers actually yelled an order out to the kitchen, and then followed it up with "so that's three short ribs ALL DAY." now clearly this does not sound at all exciting, nor does it probably make any sense. first let me tell you that I read a lot of chef books in which they throw around chef jargon like so much grade b foie. so it is really exciting for me to hear this jargon in real life. for the uninitiated, this choice turn of phrase really just means "in total," as in "I am ordering one order of short ribs but I had previously ordered two so now there are three short ribs in total." I am not quite sure why they say "all day" instead of "in total" or even just "total" because it does not really seem to save any time but I guess it is cool and if I were a chef I would use it too because it is awesome.

wow this really does not sound exciting. but I promise that it was a really sweet moment when I heard those words escape out of the kitchen into my (you know it) bionic ears.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry that no one seems to be commenting on your blogs anymore, so I thought that I would say "Hi". Glad you had a good meal.

Anonymous said...

You explain this much better in print than in person. Perhaps a book deal isn't far in the offing. I can assure you that, despite the open-pit kitchen at Perigee, I never caught the phrase thrown around. Then again I don't think the server shouted out the order but just sent up the ticket. Probably Chef Riley or one of his sous shouted out the ticket.

Fire 8 foie en torchon, one no nuts.

P.S. please write about the wedding.

Anonymous said...

i suspect that comments will be more numerous now that the prisoners have returned to the salt mines after a brief interlude above ground.
(i am not actually bitter - i am having fun filming my debut podcast, coming soon to a museum website near you . . .)

simon said...

aldous I am not a blog monkey ready to post anectdotes on command. I am insulted.

bronwen do not remind me about salt mines I read about them for 400 pages too many.

Anonymous said...

yes, i know all about it since i too have read THE WORST BOOK ABOUT SALT EVER WRITTEN! if you had just checked with me beforehand i could have told you about mark k.' obsession with chinese salt technology. i had to read it, since john gave it to me for my birthday in first year. but that was the book that convinced me i could write better popular history than some people. so just watch out - in ten years i will publish my first tome.
ps. it is weird how when you type the security letters, you have the option to click a picture of a wheelchair in order to hear them. surely a picture of an ear would be more self-explanatory?

simon said...

have we had this discussion before? I truly do not remember ever hearing of anyone else reading that book.

it is such a shame, it seemed like such a great premise for a book.

henceforth I will vet all nonfiction mineral-related books through you.

p.s. I too found that wheelchair rather amusing. in fact I was even contemplating a blog about it. oh well, a comment is just as good.