Wednesday, June 14, 2006

snooty waiter you do not impress me

I was out for team dinner tonight at a french restaurant. appropriately, the menu leaned heavily on french preparations. I would expect nothing less. the fish that I decided to have came with ‘rouille.’ I did not know what this was so I asked the waiter. he admitted to being stumped, but then pondered for a minute, and relying on his vast knowledge of culinary french, spewed out an answer for me. his snooty brain clearly decided that rouille = roux. so he starts giving me a heavily flawed definition of a roux, brandishing about mother sauce and reduction like he knew what they actually meant. buddy, I have read escoffier. actually, I took his cookbook out of the library. there is a family tree of the mother sauces and their derivatives. I studied that chart extensively.

however, I gave him the benefit of the doubt. perhaps rouille is some sauce built on a roux, somehow in accordance with his bizarre explanation. well snooty waiter, rouille is a spiced sauce of olive oil and bread crumbs, featured heavily in provencal cookery. nice try. just so you know, snooty waiter, I saw right through your fake accent. also, just so you know, if you had actually asked me how my fish was, instead of blathering on about god knows what (I was not listening, snooty waiter), I might have replied that the garnishes were competent, but that the fish was just 30 seconds this side of overdone. that sounds kind of lame now, but let me tell you it was killer at the time.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree the waiter was snotty but why did you have to check escoffier out of the library when I believe that your mother has had one of his books for years and years.

simon said...

do you by any chance have a copy of the english edition of the el bulli books? if you do not happen to have them, I am pretty confident that amazon carries them. I need to brush up on my scented air technique. thanks mom.

Anonymous said...

What a whiner! If you're going to whine, at least make it about something good! And make sure you complain at the time! For a good example refer to my behaviour last night.

simon said...

I concede that you were doing some spectacular whining at dinner. you should consider yourself lucky that I did not press the issue of cheese course before dessert.

Anonymous said...

Snooty blogger: I told you his accent was fake! You didn't believe me at first.