Thursday, June 15, 2006

dental hygiene

I am going to the dentist soon. I am very excited about this. I cannot really think of anything that compares to that post-dentist feeling of clean. my least favourite part is the taste of the gross toothpaste that they use with that little spinning rubber toothbrush. nor am I a fan of the fluoride rinse which is really quite nasty. if someone could fix those two problems I think I might become addicted to going to the dentist. as it is now, I think the frequency that my future employer’s health plan will let me visit the dentist will play a significant role in my job choice.

a visit to the dentist is also nice because the hygienist always compliments me on my dental hygiene. I usually respond with a little friendly dental repartee. “but of course, I floss daily” I might reply to her note of praise regarding my gums. “well, I do use whitening toothpaste” say I when she remarks at the blinding whiteness of my dentition. we then clink glasses of fluoride rinse and make firm plans to meet again in a year.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok, simon, we are on the same wavelength, i totally just blogged about dental hygiene before reading this.

I unfortunately have to go over the usual six-month between visits period (stupid being out of the country), and my teeth are definitely feeling it. I have been spoiled by my mother's sweet health benefits plan, and I can't even fathom not planning the regular dentist visits.

But the only problem I have is the attitude of my dentist and staff. The hygienist never makes with the small talk. And then my dentist always asks if I've been flossing everyday, and I say yes, and he proceeds to tell me to floss everyday because he does not believe me and thinks I am a big non-flossing liar. But he has been my dentist and my extended family's dentist forever, so I feel I cannot possibly switch.

Anonymous said...

Simon
I went to the dentist yesterday actually at 3:20pm, and funny enough, unknowingly Elizabeth was scheduled in for the 3:10pm appointment and she peeked into my room as I was getting the teeth scaling done. Small world down here in New Brunswick, running into your cousin at the dentist and all. I think Liz and I have this weird secret connection that is unique to twin cousins born on the same day and that go to the same school and are related on both sides of the family. Have fun at the hygienist Simon and say hi to Miss Mila.

Amelia :)

simon said...

I have not seen that maemu blog post! I am really falling behind on my blog reading.

and I think there is a term for special twin cousins related on both sides of the family, but I cannot quite put my finger on it.

it is very exciting that tout le internet is on dentistry today.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I've been to the dentist in at least two years.