Tuesday, May 30, 2006

hong kong styles

I really like dressing casually. as in business casually. I am my most happy in a button up shirt and some dress trousers. actually that is perhaps not true, I also really like sweaters, cardigans, blazers and pockets squares, none of which are included in the aforementioned getup.

well, imagine how excited I was to learn of a tailor from hong kong who could make me custom button up shirts for a very reasonable price. I am very particular about my shirt styles. collar (stay tuned for more on this one), cuffs, buttons, pleats, gussets, yokes, plackets, there are a lot of things that can go wrong here. it's pretty sweet that you can specify all this. also he has several hundred fabrics to choose from, so you can get pretty much whatever look you want. it gets better. you also send this fellow your measurements, some photos if you wish, maybe a shot of you in your favourite shirt. he sends you a shirt that fits pretty nicely.
this fellow's name is jantzen. well, that's the company's name I think. his name is ricky, I don't know why he called his company jantzen. but please don't go running off with this hot information and buy a million shirts, because I ordered my shirt in early april and it just came last week, so he's really quite busy.

the moral of the story is that I now sneer at ready-to-wear clothing, because I have gone bespoke. well, made-to-measure, at least.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How does a medical student have money to buy custom made shirts. Shouldn't you be wearing t shirts and sweatshirts, or else scrubs?

simon said...

are you joking? I don't wear t-shirts. I last wore one on Aug 21st, 2005 if memory serves me correctly.

Anonymous said...

Pardon my ignorance, but what's a gusset?

simon said...

it's the little triangular piece of fabric down at the bottom of a shirt that strengthens the seam between the front and back pieces. many well-respected shirt makers eschew them on the basis that their side seams are quite strong enough, thank you very much. others claim they are necessary to prolong the life of a shirt. yet another camp agrees with the above shirt makers, yet still enjoys the gusset for their appearance alone.

these discussions can get quite heated, as I am sure you can imagine.