Tuesday, May 30, 2006

I thought telemarketers all had B.A.'s

whenever anyone calls asking for the head of the household, mila always passes the phone to me. now I know that she does this because she recognizes who wears the pants around here (me), but a part of me is beginning to suspect that she may just be shirking her telemarketer-deflection duties.

one such call was passed off to me a couple of days ago. "I'd like to ask you a few questions about allergies" (like those even exist, but that's another post for another day). we go through the intro questions but soon get to more weighty material: "do you have carpeting?" (yes). and then she paused for a few moments. "oh! uh... um... do you own a vacuum?" did my answer somehow take her by surpise? was I giving off conflicting no-carpet vibes? SHE HAD A SCRIPT TO FOLLOW! HOW CAN A TELEMARKETER GET CONFUSED? and don't think things got any more smooth after that. it took her a good couple beats to recover from the the fact that I owned a vacuum. upright or canister? don't even go there.

why are they conducting a survey about allergies, carpets and vacuums in the first place? is hoover going to use this in their next campaign to convince carpet owners that they should probably invest in a vacuum? brilliant market research there, really top notch.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think she was probably confused that she didn't hear a dial tone and someone was still continuing the conversation.

maemu

simon said...

I guess that will teach me to try to talk to telemarketers. she teached me real good, she did.

Anonymous said...

Haven't you seen the TV infomercials for that vacuum that filters dust through water? They were probably calling about that!

Anonymous said...

simon... you do know that blogs are pretty much home of the teenage girls, emo kids who post pictures of their bad hair and the weird internet freaks who buy star wars comics on ebay , right? Other than that, good story. I am a bit surprised you actually spoke to a telemarketer.

Anonymous said...

Study please. You need a hobby.

Anonymous said...

Wait, allergies don't exist?

shift

ps i love your mom. She is my favourite blog commentator of all time.

simon said...

I see we will definitely have to address allergies later on.

please don't encourage my mom.

Anonymous said...

Simon, I also love your mom's blogging (Hi Lynn!) It demonstrates the power of the World Wide Web to bring families together in a ditzy avatar of actual contact.

In a similar vein, do you think you could post some pictures of your bad hair? And maybe buy me the Volume #3 1974 issue of She-Hulk?