Wednesday, May 31, 2006

facial tissue issue

we buy noname facial tissue. I call them kleenex, but don't get confused, I am not referring to the brand, that is just what I, like many, call them. so we buy noname kleenex. it is surprisingly gentle on the nose. I expected killer sandpaper, but it's not that bad at all. it's no extra-lotion triple ply or anything, but at least that means I can clean my glasses with it.

I would say that standard kleenex box prints include florals, abstract geometricals, greenery and solids. these are all nice, convey the image of freshness, or at least bring a certain neutrality to your bathroom. they also make those faux-marble prints, but those are rather nouveau riche I would argue. well, noname is special. we have some of those kleenex box standards, but we also have mushrooms. one of the boxes in the noname series of kleenex boxes is decorated with mushrooms. mushrooms are a fungus. they do not convey a sense of freshness nor cleanliness. they are not particularly beautiful to look at in the bathroom. I cannot understand why this box is covered in a variety of edible fungi.

but what absolutely boggles my mind is this: there is a person somewhere who made this box. someone who came into work one morning and decided that a kleenex box decorated with mushrooms was a pretty good idea. SOMEONE ACTUALLY SAT DOWN AND DREW EVERY SINGLE MUSHROOM ON THIS BOX OF FACIAL TISSUE. unbelievable.

one day when I am rich, I will buy kleenex based on the attractiveness of the box with wanton disregard for the price. until then, mushrooms. mushrooms on a kleenex box.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention our current box, which is covered in monkeys wearing marching band outfits playing instruments.
Weeeeird.

Anonymous said...

Have you seen the new kleenex (I don't know which brand in particular) boxes with holograms on them?!?! I admit, it's a little excessive for something you are going to throw away in a matter of weeks. But still... if I had the money to splurge on novelty kleenex boxes, I would definitely get one.

simon said...

sounds like an 'only in america' product to me. It's like going through a time machine when you go to the usa, you see all these amazing new things that will only show up in Canada a few years hence.
also they have townhouse crackers, which are my favourite cracker in the world. I think they sell them in canada sometimes, but I think the recipes are different. or maybe they don't carry the low-salt ones here, which is a shame as they are my favourite type. I sometimes try to bring a few boxes back in my suitcase when I visit the states. but my suitcase is usually filled with shoes, so euclid or descartes or someone often has something to say about that.

Anonymous said...

I don't buy kleenex, but i would make an exception for a box with mushrooms on it. FUNGI ARE AWESOME!

simon said...

but then how do you blow your nose when you are sick?

Anonymous said...

Are you sure that you aren't eating some sort of hallucinagenic (sp?) mushroom rather than looking at them on kleenex boxes. You really need to study more I fear. Or start needlepointing or knitting or something to occupy your time.

Anonymous said...

Simon, you and Mila need invest in a sylish Kleenex (or similar no-name brand) tissue box cozy. Just peruse the tables at any local crafts fair, and you'll undoubtedly find something to match the condo. Failing that, your mother is right: you could take up knitting and make one yourself - perhaps with a lovely plaid or argyll pattern on it!

simon said...

crafts fairs make me mildly nauseous.

Anonymous said...

I think your Mom should start a blog!

simon said...

maybe the blog could be called mom jeans. or maybe it could be called do not encourage her.

Nick said...

Please do not make fun of marble-printed kleenex boxes. I used to use them to build parts of my model cathedral but construction has been suspended for eight years because I can't find any more. Have you seen some recently? If so, please flatten, afix postage to the non-printed side, and send to:

M. HERMAN, Nic(h)olas
10, Boulevard Ironique
Foiegrasville
France

simon said...

your cathedral has been suspended for eight years because you have been busy making jewellery out of glass beads, nerdo.

p.s. is that a bronzino? it looks kind of like your friend in new york.

Anonymous said...

Nick, when are you going to finish nickinitalia? Have you noticed that you are getting spam for comments?

Anonymous said...

Hi Nick! I hope you are having fun in France. You always seem to be in Europe these days.