Saturday, February 16, 2008

sommelier rapport

if anyone has any wine pairing questions, feel free to send them my way. I would be happy to pass them along to sara d'amato, sommelier at truffles. I guess you could say we kind of have some serious rapport. I am talking david-lee-at-the-hot-line serious (p.s. do not worry, just some toronto chef humour there, sara will get it.)

this all started when she stopped by the table to see how the wines were going. I mentioned that I thought the nose on the sauvignon blanc (washed-rind cheese) may have been somewhat strong against the ocean trout with which it was paired. she agreed that it was certainly a very polarizing wine, and after a brief discussion on its use of oak, she solicited my opinions on the riesling that she had paired with an earlier foie course. I complimented her on the choice, noting that the subdued sweetness and lingering acidity were spot on. I then went on to congratulate her for her win in the 2007 toronto wine tasting challenge. she graciously thanked me, and then suggested that if I ever had any wine questions in the future, or if I wanted a good pairing suggestion, that I ought to email her at the email address she subsequently gave me. she also suggested I give her a call next time I am heading to truffles, no doubt so that she can set up an off-carte tasting or something. WE ARE LIKE BEST FRIENDS PRETTY MUCH. the food was rather underwhelming given the recent superlative review from chatto, and the ambiance was nothing short of depressing, so I will probably never go back. but maybe I will go back just so that I can call my new BFF and chat and then go for dinner and have some killer rapport.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe you should tell your bff that you have a gf. maybe she should BACK OFF.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry Mila the whole thing is a bit of an exaggeration. She came over to talk to others at the table several times but in order to talk to Simon he had to ask the server to send her over so he could discuss his wine pairings (the ones she'd been speaking with didn't even order the wine pairings). It is true that she gave him her card and they did have a very long chat. And true that the service was perfunctory and the ambiance a bit depressing. I hope that the stars who stay there order room service - hmmm probably the room service is just as depressing.

simon said...

mom, you can be blocked you know.

Anonymous said...

please don't block her! she is one of my favourite recurring characters on this whole blog! she should start her own blog!

Anonymous said...

Thank you anonymous, I am glad that someone appreciates me! If I knew how to work the computer better I could start my own blog, but I am afraid it will cause too much stress in my life. For example, today I had a lot of trouble with the volume on the msn video feed (it was humming like a helicopter or something)and I couldn't figure out how to fix it, so a blog would be too much. But if I had been young when blogs were popular, I know I would have had one!