Wednesday, February 06, 2008

HE HAS EATEN AT THE FRENCH LAUNDRY AND EIGENSINN FARM. MORE THAN ONCE.

the plastic surgeon I am currently working with is my new role model. it is like I have been speaking a foreign language my entire life, and I have just now found another human with whom I can communicate. "those skeletal rubino brothers," "michelin stars" and "oestra caviar" roll off his tongue like the fine bordeaux he no doubt drinks.

"I hear the new chef at truffles did her training at el bulli," I said. to this he astutely replied: "I have got to get over there and try adria's food. I fear molecular gastronomy might be a bit overdone, though." HE THINKS MOLECULAR GASTRONOMY IS OVERDONE. I WOULD BE CONTENT IF HE HAD EVEN HEARD OF MOLECULAR GASTRONOMY, BUT HE ACTUALLY HAS AN OPINION ON IT.

needless to say, I will be informing him first thing tomorrow that I have successfully secured a reservation at per se over the march break. I am sure he will be as excited as I am.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

excuse me. you successfully secured a reservation? last i checked, i was the one who called them first thing in the morning on my one day off and waited on hold, long distance, for nearly 30 mins.

simon said...

mila, 30 minutes is a small price to pay for what has been called the top restaurant in manhattan. if you don't understand that at least my new role model will.

Anonymous said...

Hey I know what molecular gastronomy is. And I am the one who made the Truffles reservation. And told you that Wolfgang Puck is opening a restaurant nearby, and I shared your scorn of his celebrity. How sharper than a serpent's tongue as they say!

simon said...

okay maybe you don't understand: he spoke my language. he understood me. scoffing at wolfgang puck is so 2003 that we didn't even need to say it aloud - it was mutually understood.

Aldous said...

1. Your reservation is for lunch; aren't you worried he will scoff at that?

2. Speaking of passe/overdone, all those fine Bordeaux he drinks are probably being outscored by some "trendy" Rhone upstarts. *Sigh* What a Robert Parker world we live in...

3. So what's your Michelin star count? 2x Gordon Ramsay plus...? I forget. You guys should compare over lunch at an up-and-coming London gastropub. Wait, wrong London (though maybe gastropub has made its way to Western Ontario?).

4. I still strongly suggest you try for a lunchtime res at JG; it supposed to be quite affordable.

simon said...

1. TK (well, jonathan benno, but who's counting) offers the same menu at lunch as he does at dinner - though he also offers a more modest five course, which does after all seem a bit more appropriate for a midday meal.

2-4. I think mila will revolt if I make any more reservations at 3-star establishments. I have scouted out the top dim sum in chinatown to appease her, but there is only so much a plastic tablecloth can do to cancel out her griping.

p.s. what will I wear to per se? nevermind, I have already selected my outfit. joking hahaha jokes!

Luke said...

Medicine? Academia? Anyone? ANYONE?