Wednesday, April 11, 2007

the simon wears prada

I was reminded recently of a prada briefcase that I purchased in the summer of 2005 which has been sadly sitting in storage for the past while. I will have to try to break it out some time. the problem is I never really have any business papers to carry around. maybe I will just carry some scraps of paper and a pen in case I get bored and want to draw some dining-related comics.

just fyi, it is 100% real prada. one should never trust designer goods unless they are from a reputable dealer. well of course mine was from a reputable dealer. when I stopped by the side of the road to buy it, the salesman immediately stopped his aggressive hawking and became a consummate man of business: "will this transaction be in US dollars or euros?" he asked. it was like I was dealing with some sort of swiss banker. I guess it is service like that that makes the designer prices all worth it.

also I know it is authentic because when I bought it the man quickly waved a lighter under it. he told me this demonstrated that it was real leather (and, ergo, real prada). I was previously unaware of this lighter test for leather, and I continue to be unaware of what one should be looking for during this test. perhaps a fake bag would erupt in flames as soon as the lighter came near. or maybe a fake bag would fail to produce the noxious fumes that mine continues to emit to this day. it gives me a headache every time I open it up to get something out. those thrilling aromas of conspicuous consumption are just too much for me I guess.

2 comments:

Nick said...

Simon you did not stop by a road to buy it! You were in Venice between the Riva degli Schiavoni and the Piazetta. Some road.

simon said...

tom-eh-to, tom-ah-to.