Thursday, February 01, 2007

foyer standoff

backstory: being winter, every time we come home, we bring a little puddle of dirty snow with us. this means that the front hall of our home is covered in dried patches of snow dirt.

a few weeks ago: mila was bored one day, and so asked for some suggestions for things to do. I suggested she mop the front hall.

present day: the front hall has still not been mopped. when asked about it, mila replied that she saw no point in mopping the front hall since it would just get dirty again. she is planning on mopping once winter is over.

apparently this same logic applies to the bathroom. simon's recent thorough scrubbing of the shower tiles, as well as his exacting house-wide windex work have not been matched with the requested bathroom counter wipe nor the vim-ing of the faucets. frustrated by the unsanitary conditions of our bathroom, I was forced to wipe some stray dust off the counter with a kleenex just to allow myself to stand there and brush my teeth. mila noticed this, and thanked me for attending to her tasks.

somehow I feel that our standards are not quite in line here. it seems as though I am aiming somewhere in the vicinity of clean, while mila seems to have set the bar at, to quote an elder, wretched squalor.

10 comments:

simon said...

oh yeah, I also dusted all the baseboards. PLEASE MOP THE HALL.

p.s. I also dusted the entire house except your office!

Anonymous said...

i hope you aren't hungry at school tomorrow without a lunch. that's right. welcome to lunch standoff. i'll pack you food when you get off my back about chores. two can play at this game, my friend.

simon said...

oh no! you mean while I scour the evening's dishes, you won't put the leftover dinner that I made in tupperware? bring it on!

Anonymous said...

well then have fun eating dinner alone!

also, simon, you seem to be unfamiliar with the concept of SPRING cleaning.

Anonymous said...

Oh the ridiculousness of gender reversal. I too find much complaint from "my fairer half" for my "obsessive-compulsive neat and clean disorder".

All I ask is that the clothes not be strewn across the furniture, that each individual chopstick be given the right amount of scrubbing, and that the dustballs on the bedroom floor be picked up when they grow in radius to 1 inch. Note RADIUS, not diameter.

But alas, this too is too much to ask in this modern man-maid-centric society.

Anonymous said...

...only slightly elder.

Anonymous said...

Why don't you wipe your feet on the mats at the entrance to your building thus saving your own carpets.

Also it sounds as though you need some couples chores counselling! Maybe the med school has some classes that they can offer.

simon said...

don't get me started on the lack of boot stomping effectiveness held by certain residents of EV headquarters.

Anonymous said...

i stomp as hard as i can.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps you will have to get a mat from Canadian Tire to put outside your front door in case EV visitors/residents forget to stomp.