Tuesday, January 16, 2007

the savage

did I tell you that I ate the 2006 canadian cheese grand prix winner this holiday season? well please do not be jealous when I tell you that I did indeed eat it. the winner of the 2006 grand prix, as well as the top cheese in the washed rind category, was La Sauvagine, or 'The Savage'. but if this washed-rind delight, hailing from Portneuf, Quebec, is a savage, colour me a barbarian.

the gates open, but there is no feral rush of overpowering pungency that one might expect from a washed rind. instead, this cheese oozes delicate and smooth civility. mild buttery fungal notes linger pleasantly, but La Sauvagine is not so uncouth as to overstay its welcome. overall, a classy gentleman to be sure, but do not be tricked into thinking this cheese has forgotten how to throw a punch - La Sauvagine will get you with its deliciously sour left hook when you least expect it.

not to inspire even further jealousy, but this was only one of eight cheeses I added to my diary this break. quite spectacular on that front, I would say.

I think in addition to sunday game night, I will have cheese board of the week once I am established. stilton and organic walnut loaf sure trumps black diamond and ritz for an influenceable young man.

No comments: