Wednesday, December 06, 2006

thrilling chocolate conclusion

well saturday came and went, and there was enough chocolate left to make cookies. mila even helped make them. quality control was a constant issue, with cookie sizes being somewhat variable. needless to say, mila's tended to the large side, in a futile attempt to escape the kitchen as soon as possible. futile because I ran that cookie session with an iron fist. the entire time we were rolling them she kept pushing me to make a monster cookie with all the remaining dough so that she could go do something else. she did not get away with her enormous chocolate cookies though. iron fist, as I said.

so cookies out of the way, I had been looking forward to a morsel or two of the remaining chocolate. however, mila informed me this morning that she had finished "her" chocolate. by which she did not mean "her share" of the chocolate, but by which she meant "all of the chocolate." presumably I wasted my share making cookies.

I am now craving some of my favourite thomas haas chocolate cookies, which are little more than chocolate and butter, with just enough ground almond to hold them together. where is the nearest purveyor of single origin chocolate around here? must I resort to lindt?

incidentally, lindt was one of the featured chocolates on langdon's chocolate menu. just a thought, but taking cues from swiss chalet is probably not a great idea if you are trying to hold onto your four stars.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please send me the haas recipe it sounds divine.

Anonymous said...

I'd better not start eating the cookies you made, then, since they caused so much stress! I will keep them in the freezer and try not to thaw some out if we are craving chocolate.

simon said...

I will be sure to forward you the recipe post haste. haas has made some changes which require some discussion.

and mom, indeed, please do not eat those cookies.

Anonymous said...

um, so when does the little sister of the sous chef get her share of the chocolate or cookies?

Anonymous said...

lizanonymous: less chocolate, more study.

simon said...

lizanonymous sounds like some sort of dinosaur.

and lizanonymous, do you know how hard it was to coax what little assistance with the cookies that the sous chef finally did yield? she barely earned any cookies herself.