Wednesday, December 13, 2006

saving lives

last night I went to the local library to give blood. according to my blood donor card, this was my 20th donation. but according to the computer it was only my 19th. I wonder if there is some sort of appeal process to sort this out. now I am going to have to wait an extra 56 days before I get my 20th pin. wholly unacceptable. maybe blood services has an ombudsman I can contact. no wonder they have tainted blood with this kind of shoddy administration going on.

anyway, this whole imbroglio was pushed to the back burner when midway through my donation the phlebotomists suddenly began reliving the staff christmas party from last week. see, linda wore a boa to the party. I am not entirely sure why this topic was able to consume the entire blood collection staff for a good ten minutes, to be quite honest, but it did. the consensus seemed to be that this boa made linda "hot," though it was left undetermined whether or not it made her "hotter" than jean, who had apparently worn quite the christmas sweater to the gala. I imagine sequins were involved, and I would not be surprised to learn that it had some manner of electronics embedded in it. flashing lights, perhaps.

as if things were not crazy enough at masonville public library, one of the other nurses asked if this boa was a real boa, which did not really make any sense to me, since I cannot imagine what a fake boa might be. however, it promptly ratcheted the discussion up a notch, with shrieks of "boa CONSTRICTOR!" filling the room, as though the name of a snake somehow constituted some manner of joke. fearing I might get poked by a stray needle as nurses danced about the room reenacting moves from last week's party, I fled the library, foolishly promising to return in 56 days time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too funny! Thank you, Simon. That was hilarious.

Anonymous said...

You should have joined in the hiliarity! It sounded as though they were having loads of fun. Loosen up! Merry Christmas!

simon said...

dear anonymous, they were probably celebrating hump day eve, as it was a Tuesday, after all.