Monday, November 06, 2006

crispers all dressed - 200 g

the slick metallic bag says you can look forward to some potato chips within, yet the grocery store shelf position says cracker. no matter what you hear, as soon as you tear open the bag you know that Kraft has hit one out of the park here with their 200 grams of easy open and reclosable snack. great structure, with very little crumbling even after aging in the cupboard for a good week. a powerfully spicy nose lies in wait, drawing you in for a generous handful of this snack cracker. make it two handfuls, for this powerhouse bouquet is no empty temptress. this cracker starts very confidently with some classic all dressed kick. assertive yet coy through the middle, these Crispers mellow out to a smooth, smoky finish. this riproarer of a cracker is robust enough to enjoy on its own, but it is also gentleman enough to sit back and let a sparkling lemonade shine through. the crunch of the cracker is perhaps the one weak point in Kraft’s offering – no doubt hobbled by the light touch on the trans fat. nonetheless, this cracker is a winner. enjoy now through 12/07.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you enjoy the all dressed vintage I highly recommend barbecue. Perhaps less balanced but the knockout mesquite notes are well worth it. For heavier cola.

simon said...

funny you should mention that. I finished the bag of all dressed and am currently enjoying some bbq. I agree that they are perhaps wanting in the balance department - I find that palate fatigue sets in with much more than an amuse-sized bowlful of them.

Anonymous said...

That may be because you do not have a full bodied enough accompaniment. I would actually suggest a Brio or similarly herby cola.

simon said...

I don't know, the more I eat these BBQ the more I feel they are a one trick pony. as you say, huge mesquite, but is that all there is? it would be nice to get some supporting meat notes. would it kill them to layer in some garlic? overall, an underthought and overproduced snack cracker.

Anonymous said...

Hello Simon:
After reading all of your kind accolades, I was dissapointed to not see a birthday greeting on your blog. Maybe next year. In the meantime, keep up your tasteful commentary on the culinary arts.
All the best,
Gordon

Anonymous said...

Gordon Ramsay? Gordo?!?!?

Anonymous said...

Shout outs only go out to my girl. Sorry, Gordo

simon said...

hi gordon ramsay! how are things? I heard that you redecorated RHR. saw some pictures, and I think I liked it better before. a bit blah, wouldn't you say? also saw some of your platings - I'll be honest, you're on the way to a two star with that kind of late 90s squeeze bottling. nice to hear from you,
simon