Tuesday, September 19, 2006

dreamer, nothing but a dreamer

ellen has started a list of things she wishes to do in her life. so I thought maybe if I started a list they would give me a talk show. with this in mind, I give you my list.

simon's culinary dreams:

commercial-strength vent hood
whipped foie gras on foie gras tuiles with a foie gras shooter
be a sous chef
have a sous chef
lifetime membership in the single-origin-chocolate-a-week club
direct phone numbers for ferran adria, thomas keller, wylie dufresne, heston blumenthal and gordon ramsay.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

1) you already have a sous chef

2) you hate talking on the phone

simon said...

1) there is a difference between prep chef and sous chef you know (OH SNAP!)

2) well I like talking to chefs. "hi wylie, what's new?" "oh you know, same old same old. did some sweet rabbit on the plancha. how are those solid hollandaise sheets coming?" "thanks for asking, wylie. they're doing pretty well, I think they're going to work really well with that sous vide asparagus that ferran suggested." "classic!"

I forgot to include grant achatz, my apologies to the chicago school. of couse I would want to talk to him! sorry grant!

Anonymous said...

I am sure that you will get a commercial strength vent hood one day. The other things I am not so sure about. I am sure that you will eat at a restaurant one day that has a sous chef, I can promise you that. And by the way, why do you and Mila talk to each other on this website, can you not talk to each other in your condo?

Anonymous said...

what about a pot-filling tap above your stove so that you can make pasta without having to go to the sink? The Mackays' professional chef neighbour has that. . .

simon said...

see I am torn on the pot filling tap. on one hand it seems pretty convenient. but then again having a tap with no drain seems risky. hmmm!

Anonymous said...

maybe your vent hood could have a drain attachment

Anonymous said...

Solution: the entire range unit is fitted with a drainage system and the area under the unit is one giant drain complete with grease traps (I'm assuming you have a built-in grill).