Monday, September 25, 2006

draining issue

I like a nice cold glass of water before I go to bed. sometimes I indulge in a couple of glasses, despite mila's warnings regarding nighttime incontinence. in fact, I love getting up in the middle of the night, it is so quiet and peaceful. there is nothing quite like a 3am awakening, it is pure luxury.

so these glasses of water have to be ice cold, because that is how I like my water. mila prefers her water lukewarm because she has some tooth sensitivity issues. I try to get her to brush with sensodyne but she does it for a day or two, then upon noticing no improvement in her condition discontinues its use.

to get my water nice and cool, I like to blast the tap for a few minutes so that it can cool down. I know all the posters tell you not to run the tap while you brush your teeth, save water, and so on. but the water comes out of the lake, and then down the sink, and back into the lake. it is a zero sum game. so I really do not know why they are all on your back about running the tap. anyway I run the tap at full flow, but I can only do it for so long because the sink starts to fill up. now I do not expect the sink to keep up with full flow, that would be a luxury not even I could imagine. but I would say the break-even point, the point of dynamic equilibrium, is about 20% flow, 30% tops. that does not strike me as satisfactory. surely a reasonable residential sink should be able to handle at least half power. do all sinks drain in such a lackluster manner? or have I simply clogged ours with the cuttings from my barber shears. I MEAN HAS MILA SIMPLY CLOGGED OURS WITH HER GIRL HAIR. I ACCEPT NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR OUR CLOGGED SINK. NOT MY FAULT.

I will perhaps buy some liquid plumber and conduct a scientific study of drain rates before and after my experimental intervention. do not worry, I will post full results. also please give me some comments on it so that I can claim it as a peer reviewed paper and add it to my cv.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please don't waste water, it is expensive to process it etc. Drink it as it comes out.

simon said...

I deserve something from my property tax, which from what I gather goes to schools and public works. since I do not attend public school (neither english, french immersion nor catholic) I feel I am entitled to as much water as I want.

Anonymous said...

i can't believe how much you pad your cv.

for instance, since when is president, vice-president and ceo of exquisitevanity.blogspot.com "relevant work experience"?

Anonymous said...

Why don't you get a Brita filter? Best of all worlds - save the environment and clean, cold drinking water! ALSO, tell Mila Sensodyne really works! I use it all the time, but like the commercials say, you have to keep using it or the pain comes back!

Anonymous said...

Don't be a cown, turn off the tap when you brush. And don't use liquid plumber it is death in a can. Use vinegar and baking soda first (half hour intervals x 3). want to live by a beautiful lake when i am old thank you very much not a crater.

Anonymous said...

I really think that leaving the tap on constantly, in case you'll need some cold water at some point, is probably the best strategy. It's sort of like a pilot light.

simon said...

okay anonymous, I am so highly dubious that vinegar and baking soda will cut through whatever is clogging my drain. it will just make a big volcano, which is cool, but hardly useful.

and jeremy I have a brita filter. but it does not live in the bathroom, which is where I like to take my nocturnal water.

and finally, aldous, surely instant hot water presents more of a concern. I can fully understand why gordon ramsay liked to keep a pot or two on a modest simmer throughout hell's kitchen