Monday, July 24, 2006

miss universally poor

I am 100% embarrassed to admit that I saw some of miss universe last night. mila had it on so I take no responsibility for admitting that trash into these fine concrete walls.

I have two comments:

1) there really is a miss congeniality. it is not just a sandra bullock movie. some country actually got a trophy for being friendly, and was awarded the title miss congeniality.

2) I have even less respect for these pageants than I did before. I thought they were judged by veterans of the genre who could competently weed out the young ladies who had forgotten to put vasoline on their teeth to prevent smile malfunctions. misconception. the judges included a former pro football player ("funner. I mean more fun"), some former apprentice winner (b-list), last season's project runway winner (c-list) and tom green (ball-list). thanks donald t. for putting together that crack team.

mila adds that brazil looked like a dude. and so did puerto rico. but mostly brazil.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

simon, tell the truth. you did not just see some of it. you watched everything except for the warm-up question.

simon said...

that is a big lie. I cannot believe you would write that. shame on you.

I did see the warm-up question, thank you very much.

Anonymous said...

my mistake! you missed the final question.

simon said...

so long as it is clear that I did not watch this televised travesty in its entirety, then I am content.

Luke said...

Simon, I also watched Miss Universe (but only when The Ring got too scary), and I too was unimpressed by the judging panel. Even worse, however, was the shrieking of the blong guy from Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, who gives the entire project of queer liberation a black eye. Also, my brother's girlfriend says he is "gay for pay," comme ils-dites. (I wish someone would set up a "pay for gay" arrangement with me. I could use the money).

Ghana won Miss Congeniality. And Puerto Rico took home the crown. I wonder if Jimmy Steele was happy?

Anonymous said...

simon and i were scanning the audience for jimmy the entire time. at one point a man got very excited for canada and waved a big flag, but it unfortunately masked his face.

i thought people like him would be judging. not white canadian rappers who wrote and directed such gems as "endangered feces".

Luke said...

Jimmy is too involved in the pageant world to judge. Canada's meteoric rise to perennial Top 10 finishes in major beauty pageants over the past few years can be largely traced to him!

Anonymous said...

Aldous made out with a top ten runner up miss World Canada candidate.

simon said...

anonymous who are you and why are you soiling my comments with tawdry tales of aldous' indiscretions?

Luke said...

I can verify anonymous's comment, as I was an eyewitness to the deed (along with about 20 other people and most of the Ein-Steins bartending staff).

Where did you go, Miss Downtown Toronto?