Sunday, July 16, 2006

issues in pest control

there are like a million flies in our apartment right now. I killed six flies yesterday with my lightning reflexes, and I also killed a lot just by picking them up because they seem to be a particularly short-lived strain. I do not think I killed any today because they seemed reinvigorated from their night's rest and I was exhausted from chasing them the day before, but then again maybe I did kill one. anyway there are still so many flies here.

where do they come from? our windows are all shut. google says they grow in liquefied garbage, sewage and carrion. that is so gross and we do not have any of that here. absolutely no decomposing carcasses, I am quite sure. yet so many flies.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I strongly recommend buying some glue fly traps. You can buy them from Canadian Tire. Don't be seduced by the features of the more expensive traps (e.g. the sticky cylinders housed within decorative cardboard boxes with scents that supposedly attract flies -- they don't work well). The cheap ones are much more effective and economically sound.

Anonymous said...

grossest blog post ever. you make it sound as though we live in a giant compost heap or something.
please post next about how the apartment is actually very clean. i even used pledge today to polish all of the wood surfaces.
i can't believe that you just tarnished our perceived home hygiene so badly, just so that you could brag about killing a few flies.

Nick said...

Mila, since you have an antique dining room set and china cabinet, I would not recommend using Pledge for cleaning surfaces, as it can harm patina and heirloom pieces. You might want to take a look at your local Restoration Hardware outlet for a milder alternative.

Regards,

N.H.

simon said...

the fly situation seems to be coming under control, fly traps may not be required this time.

nick, perhaps your father could drop by for a quick consult on the dining table. I am sure he could suggest the appropriate product. mid summer heritage furniture revitalizer? I can only imagine you should use a seasonally appropriate treatment.

Anonymous said...

Are you making fun of the table and china cabinet that I found for you?

Anonymous said...

In case you are interested, Mila-- (since I'm guessing you're the one who does the cleaning) I've heard the best thing for cleaning antique wood surfaces is just a quick wipe with a damp cloth. Happy cleaning!

simon said...

mom I would never make fun of this sweet table.

anonymous, who are you kidding. though I do confess that mila has been doing a lot of household tasks now that she's on the 5 hour a week work schedule