Sunday, June 04, 2006

thesauruses/thesauri

having a bit of the shakespeare in me, I must admit that finding the right word is never really a problem. in fact, I will most likely be remembered as one of the most important authors of this century. notice I said 'this' century and not a number. that is both a literary device that my friend mr. pulizter taught me, as well as clever way of skirting the fact that I can never remember if you add one to the current year's thousands to get to the century or if it's the other way around.

from my rarefied position on the top of the world of fine literature I find myself wondering about some of the other authors who fill pages with their words. do real writers ever use thesauruses to find the exact word they need, or to give their work more richness? or do they just have the gift of always being able to find the perfect word?

i.e., do they have the same gift that I have?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey simon - Luke told me about your blog, which I have been enjoying. I have a summer job at the ROM cataloguing images of artifacts (not the artifacts themselves - this is an important distinction) so I am grateful from the distraction from the innumerable late Archaic woodlands arrowheads and nineteenth century Plains beaded headdresses!

simon said...

I am happy that my blog was noteworthy enough to merit passing on. I will assume it was good noteworthy, not bad. clarifications on this assumption are not required.

I am glad also that tax dollars are being spent so that people can read my blog. who am I kidding, I read the entire internet last summer chez the government.

how is the crystal?

Anonymous said...

Simon, I'm not sure you're one to be commenting about tax dollars supporting blog reading when your own family's business dollars are also supporting blog reading (and not just through Aldous!)

In response to your question though, I certainly often resort to a thesaurus, as my degree in English does not appear to have honed my lexicographical skills as much as it could have. And from what little I know of history's great authors (Charles Dickens, Samuel Beckett, Stephen King, etc), there is no shame in revising one's original text if, after repeated perusals, a word doesn't quite ring true. So perhaps, Simon, your genius for appropriate vocabulary usage is indeed, a nonpariel!

Anonymous said...

I had a missive from Thorsell last week informing us all that the crystal is proceeding well. The lobby floor will still be slanted though, but they have set up a test desk and chair for the admissions people to make sure stuff doesn't roll around. (I'm not kidding here).

simon said...

thank you luke, you have confirmed my long-held belief that I am in fact a master of english writing.

and bronwen, you sound so serious, but I simply cannot believe. how can anyone work on a slanted desk? I can barely get any work done and my desk is perfectly leveled and plumb.

Anonymous said...

Hallo I absolutely adore your site. You have beautiful graphics I have ever seen.
»