Sunday, June 25, 2006

diva

you may have gleaned from previous comments that I have a familial relationship to two people with hearing loss. you may have also noticed an abstruse reference to a 'diva'. if you wish to understand read on. otherwise I would suggest browsing ebay for some birkenstocks in my size (42 regular) and letting me know if you find any good deals because I am in the market. thanks in advance TIA@@!!

both my parents have hearing loss. they are not even that old. I mean my mom enjoys the gentle banter on classical 96.3 fm (well, bart, it looks like autumn is on the way. sure is, david. I saw some trees changing colour on my cycle in this morning. wow, bart, that sounds like a wonderful bicycle ride. now let's hear some classical guitar OH MY GOD THEY ARE EVEN MORE INANE THAN THAT. I CANNOT PRODUCE INANE ENOUGH BANTER TO SIMULATE THOSE TWO SQUARES.) and my dad considers the day half gone if you are not awake by 7 am. but still, they are not that old.

one day there was a free hearing clinic and they had nothing better to do so they just decided to go. the clinic told them they both had hearing loss. the clinic was run by a place that sold hearing aids but that is okay because my parents are reasonable people and would only get hearing aids when they are actually old. WRONG MY PARENTS WENT HEARING AID CRAZY. THEY LOVE HEARING AIDS. for a good month they would talk about nothing other that what kind of hearing loss they had, what brand of hearing aid they were going to get, their most recent visit to the audiologist, what kind of training you need to become an audiologist, how my sister should become an audiologist and so on.

anyway, my mother's hearing aid is called the diva. the brochure has pictures of happy 30somethings gallivanting about and generally hearing things, I suppose. I forgot the name of my dad's hearing aid, it is rather more sedate and technical, but I am sure if you ask him he will tell you all about it.

in fact, if you have seen my parents since they got hearing aids I can guarantee you that they will have shown you their respective audiological devices and told you all about them. they are both rather proud of them. if you want to ingratiate yourself with them, I would suggest enquiring about their hearing aids, much like one would ask whether someone had lost weight, or had just been down south.

believe me I find this as bizarre as you, dear reader, do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you learned tuning fork tests yet? For some reason, when I do the Weber test, it localizes to one side... Yet I've never noticed any difference between my ears before! Strange.