Monday, May 29, 2006

growing responsibility

mila and I have three plants. one of them lives in my office. it is therefore, of course, a manly cactus. it took some time at the garden centre at home depot to finally decide on a plant suitable for a gentleman's study. clearly many leafier plants don't even bear consideration, since they would likely wilt immediately from the outrageous testosterone levels in here. one is left pretty much with cacti and ferns, I would say. and since ferns are a bit jurassic for the more modern image I am trying to convey, I was left with cacti. given that the vast majority of them give me the willies with their spikes and the remainder are far too phallic-looking for my comfort, I am sure you can appreciate how difficult it was to settle on my cactus. ANYWAY so that's cool, because cacti pretty much just sit there, so I can handle that.

plant number 2 lives in the living room. it is called an indian rubber plant, but I would say that it is only truly the latter. I live in constant fear of overwatering it.

plant number 3 lives in mila's office. it is a pink tropical plant. it seems to be flourishing so far (jealous!).

I FORGOT plant number 4. it's an herb so perhaps I didn't consider it a plant at first. it is sage. I live in fear of overwatering it too. also problems arise because you want to eat the sage, but then what if you take too much off? DOUBLE STRESS.

so really just two of the four plants are any trouble. but now take that trouble and crank it up to 11 because what is going to happen when we are away for rural week, or in toronto the week following that?

p.s. bad guys, we are not actually away, we will be in our home guarding our possessions, just fyi

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey guy,
Tangentially related question: if you were captured by the Taliban and had to choose between drinking white zinfandel or sugar- and caffeine- free diet no-name brand sodas - such as Diet Lime-It-Up(tm) - for the rest of your life, which would you choose? Why?

simon said...

Lime sodas are positively refreshing. Though on the other hand perhaps you could make an acceptable house vinegar from the zin (cf. www.obsessionwithfood.com)

Anonymous said...

Here I thought that I was paying for you to study medicine and lo and behold I find out that you spend your time like a teenage girl, making a blog. I am surprised that you have not included "Ode to Marissa" on your blog.