Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I am the very model of a modern... man

to the gardiner last friday, for some of locavore jamie kennedy's understated cuisine. the space was handsome and the food confident, but of even greater note was my encounter with their sommelier (a fiesty young woman in flat-heeled boots; an addition to the fiery-haired drummond, one hopes, rather than a replacement). having settled on the black cod, but not digging the suggested pairing (an ontario sauvignon blanc, if memory serves), I asked the som for an alternative:

"I'm not feeling the white tonight. anything else you like with the cod?"
"for sure! the 2005 was a great year for the pinots, and I'm pouring a couple by the glass I think you might enjoy," she offered.
"hmmm..." I thoughtfully replied.
"well, I must say you look like a modern man..."

needless to say I was immensely flattered. I suspect it was my urban yet relaxed manbag that tipped her off.

"...so let me make a suggestion: how do you feel about rosé?"

1 comment:

gingerz said...

Yes... an addition, Krista is one of my two wonderful assistants.

... I was away in Prince Edward County judging Taste of the County.

See here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20066223@N00/sets/72157607577867511/