Saturday, June 28, 2008

I am actually 100% offended

mila and I met with a stationer today. I walked him through what we wanted. I answered all his questions about which shade of white we would prefer for the stock. paper weight, typeface and envelope style were all chosen to my exacting specification. we flipped through stacks of paper as I passed final judgement.

meanwhile, mila sat silent, wondering if she could be excused to go read magazines in the adjacent bookstore.

as we wrapped up, this otherwise pleasant stationer had only one blank left on his form - a contact name. so he turns to mila - who had made no comment on ink colour, and remained similarly mute during our discussion of the reply cards - and asks for her name.

MISANDRY! PROFOUND, VILE MISANDRY! never have I been so insulted in my life. I cannot believe he filed our account under mila's name. HE DID NOT EVEN WRITE MY NAME DOWN AS AN ALTERNATE CONTACT. WHAT DOES HE THINK MILA IS GOING TO SAY IF HE CALLS HER TO DISCUSS THE MERITS OF LETTERPRESS VERSUS ENGRAVING? I AM NOT EVEN SURE SHE KNOWS WHAT THOSE WORDS MEAN.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

simon, you could have an entire upper year seminar course in your men's studies curriculum about the inherent sexism of wedding planning.

Archivist said...

The multi-billion dollar wedding industry. with its decidedly gynocentric bent, is testimony to feminism's lack of influence over the affairs of the vast majority of people. Most people are comfortable slinking into gender roles that have held sway since pre-history and have spared people from thinking themselves about many, many things. Weddings are one of them.

Bronwen said...

you should be offended, simon! that is really quite shocking, seriously. ps - do you know this "archivist" commenter? pps. which font did you pick????

simon said...

no idea who this archivist is. someone who takes fine paper even more seriously than I do, it would seem. yikes!

currently it's set in futura, in a custom design of my creation.

and by way of update for all interested: I called the head office of this prejudicial stationer. I spoke to the boss, who sounded quite empathetic, yet I doubted her sincerity somewhat. I didn't get a strong feeling that she was going to fire the offending employee, which was really the least I was expecting. oh well, needless to say they will not be getting our business!

Anonymous said...

Oh, poor Simon - if you've never been so insulted in your life, I suggest you stick around a bit. I'll insult you big time! I'll start with the dearth of upper case in your blog and move on from there!