Monday, May 05, 2008

gender issues

I am not sure if I have ever mentioned this, but in response to the general outrageousness of women's studies I am in the process of developing a curriculum in men's studies. it would include courses like "manbags 101" and "the men's section at banana republic is always smaller than the women's - a seminar" and "media studies: vogue vs men's vogue" and for advanced students, a research course: "my manspa closed - where to get a quality sports manicure in a gentlemanly atmosphere."

anyway I guess I have a new course ("the man and the postmodern wedding: a recontextualization through the lens of social construct"). all the wedding websites go on at great length about "her day" and "discussion with the bride" and "the cake of her dreams" and "you and your husband." so now I have to email the photographer and feel like a total second-class citizen because they promise to capture "her vision" but the vision is actually my vision and I am a he.

so moral of the story, if I drop out of school and become a wedding planner it will be a completely gender neutral enterprise. or maybe it will be mancentric to make up for years of wedding repression.

p.s. I am hooked on stationery

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know a guy whose interests on facebook include "masculine virtue". I think that's pretty sweet actually.
-rosie