Thursday, February 28, 2008

chef's table

school you are ruining my life again. I just found an old draft menu from a dinner party, tucked away in an old folder on my bookshelf. (incidentally, this is none other than the dinner which introduced the revolutionary chef's table, the standing-height table located in the kitchen, where guests were invited to take certain light courses (fish 1, intermezzi 1 & 2, shellfish, predesert and composed cheese, if I recall correctly) right in the middle of the drama of a kitchen brigade deep in the weeds. actually it may have been devised to appease guests as they sat for interminable lengths of time between courses, but really who can remember these kinds of things so many years out? HOW HAVE I NEVER DISCUSSED CHEF'S TABLE ON EV BEFORE? IT WAS ONE OF MY GREATEST STROKES OF GENIUS IN THE REALM OF CUSTOM DINNER PARTY FURNITURE EVER.)

anyways, all I want to do is go sit in a chair and write a sweet menu and build a new chef's table but instead I have to go to school. maybe my application for an exemption from my ob/gyn rotation will go through (grounds for exemption: that stuff is gross). that 6 weeks would be the perfect time to get cracking on a menu or two.

8 comments:

Bronwen said...

if you build it, i will come and eat. i still remember that evening as the best combination of extremely full/extremely intoxicated I have ever experienced.

Luke said...

No no, Bronwen. The evening that featured the Double Double holds, for me, that particular honor.

Anonymous said...

Delivering babies is fun!

Anonymous said...

Now you see why I fall back on chicken marbella and oven rice - life just doesn't slow down enough to allow one to put the sort of energy you used to into your dinner parties. So sad. I think that the 6 weeks off would also allow you enough time to help your mother shop for lamps, fixtures and mirrors.

Nick said...

Wait, one of your greatest strokes of genius?

simon said...

nicholas, you may have been have been both the architect and builder of the chef's table, but surely it was I who conceived of the glorious concept.

Aldous said...

Are you sure Simon? I seem to recall that we had both yearned for a chef's table for a long time. Since we could neither afford nor engineer lucite, we settled on Nick's questionable carpentry. Or so I remember.

simon said...

certainly, you may have co-credit for the chef's table. such a brilliant concept undoubtedly required two great minds to concoct.