Wednesday, June 27, 2007

doogie needs a real job

lately my life has largely consisted of being at work (alternating between a windowless lab in the basement and an upstairs lab with a view of an asphalt roof - though lately there have been workmen repairing the roof which is actually pretty cool to watch), eating mila's leftover sandwiches (leftover because she goes out for lunch with her doctor every day), getting cadaver juice all over my arms (baby dribble has been mila's most noxious contact of late) and trying to eke out even the slightest tan in the hospital driveway during the 15 minute vitamin d break I grant myself each day (not to worry - mila has been getting plenty of vitamin d while lounging poolside for hours on end).

my highlights of the last few days include getting a key to the lab so that I can start work before the grad students get there and also getting a swipe card for the library so that I can get in before the librarian arrives. mila's highlights include going to some deliveries and talking baby names with patients.

and yet even as I slave over this blog, doogie howser is watching tv.

p.s. patients have actually been calling her that, I did not make it up.

p.p.s. she is watching criminal minds. I think that is probably the worst show on television.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I told you to go to law school. Lawyers get offices with windows and views. And no cadaver juice.

Anonymous said...

but lawyers do not get to see other people's babies all the time (well, maybe if they are in family law). what do you do with cadavers anyways, smo?

simon said...

I am looking at elbow replacements. basically we take x-rays of cadaver arms for hours on end. I could tell you more about the project because it really is pretty sweet, but you are probably bored already. mila starts making snoring noises as soon as I mention "radial head."

also I could tell you more but it would not surprise me at all to find out that the great minds in elbow research are all regulars at EV, and we wouldn't want them scooping my vital research, would we. that's how nobels are lost.

Anonymous said...

Don't be too quick to judge Criminal Minds. When the toddler falls asleep on you and you're too afraid to move and wake her Criminal minds is a million times better than CSI: Horatio.

simon said...

is horatio the one who looks like william h. macy with orange hair? if so I just watched a you tube clip of him and he is hilarious. I can't tell if it's intentional though. I fear not.