Thursday, April 26, 2007

first baking, now this

responding to my accusations that she had no hobbies, mila apparently took up baking, and has now taken up horticulture. so far she is growing a jade plant and two egglings. the thing is, I cannot seem to recall the last time that mila watered her jade. she just yells over that it isn't looking so hot, and then I walk over with the watering can and tend to it. on the eggling front, the basil in particular was looking pretty droopy last night, for which I received a particularly severe tongue lashing. as with the jade, the egglings somehow seem to get pretty dry if I am negligent in watering them. odd.

a couple days ago (in the egglings's better days) mila sent me some pictures of the egglings. I got a couple dozen emailed pics of them in various poses about the living room. from that series:


basil on the left, petunia on the right. at least I think so. maybe I should ask the resident horticuluralist.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

you forgot to mention my avocado tree!

Anonymous said...

Mila, you obviously have inherited my baking and green thumb genes. I think all sounds wonderful. Carry on!

Luke said...

Mila, your egglings are so cute!

simon said...

actually those are supposed to be my egglings. mila kind of just appropriated them when she took up horticulture.

Anonymous said...

I like how I never have to water my Java ferns. Yet I should probably do more maintenance on them as their growth is mostly chaotic and unattached to any object in my aquarium.

simon said...

my java ferns never really took. I would tie them to rocks and driftwood, yet somehow they would always float away. I eventually got rid of them, I believe.

Anonymous said...

Can you come and take your fish to your place, please? He is using up all our electricity. I will have to put a compact florescent (sp) bulb in the tank.

simon said...

how about when you are replacing the bulb with a compact fluorescent, you accidentally drop the fixture in. that would solve the fish problem and you could blame it on this outrageous incandescent ban.

Unknown said...

Is this fish the oscar? If so, I am very impressed by its longevity! This is the sixth year under your family's care, right?

simon said...

no, it is some generic white fish. the oscar passed away some time ago. it may have been suicide, I can no longer recall.