Sunday, March 25, 2007

high pressure dentistry

I saw an article today that the dentists at my school have begun taking part in the simulated patient interviews program. I am sorry, but what interviews do dentists need to practice ? I speak about 10 words to my dentist every time I am there and they are all small talk. I have never been interviewed by my dentist in my life. furthermore, the article said that they even teach dentists to deal with the pressure-cooker situations they are likely to encounter in real practice. pressure-cooker?

"so, mr. jones, do you floss daily?"
"of course."
"okay, whoah, time out. group, I am getting the feeling there may be some compliance issues here with mr. jones. his gingiva just do not have that daily flosser look... okay, I think have some ideas now for how to approach this. time in. mr. jones, are you sure you floss daily?"
"yup. every day."
"wow. time out. I do not know where to go from here, group. I mean, I am certain I am not getting the full story, but am worried about pushing too far on this point."

just in time, the faculty member stepped in: "okay, let's all take a breather here. why don't we practice breaking that bad news we were talking about, then come back to this."

"time in. mr. jones, I have something else I need to discuss with you. but before we start, is there anyone else you would like to have present? please feel free to bring someone in with you if you would be more comfortable. and is this a good time for you? if not, we can always schedule a family meeting at a better time. okay, great. oh, and the tissues are right over there if you need them. now mr. jones, I am afraid I have some bad news to share with you. we were looking through some of your dental x-rays and... well, some findings came up that I really think you need to know about. now I should tell you that we have reviewed the x-rays many times, and are only bringing this up because we are absolutely certain about the... condition. um... well, mr. jones, it seems that you have a small cavity in your left upper canine. now I know how shocking something like this can be, and we would be happy to set up a meeting with social work for you if you think it would help. I would like you to talk this over with your family, and please call me if you have any questions. here, let me give you my home number - please call at any time if you have any questions at all. remember, I am here for you. you don't have to go this alone."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

In reality, root canal work is stressful. You should know as you assisted with one once!

simon said...

that is true, I am rather an expert on root canals. perhaps I will pop by the dentistry offices today and see if they will give me a degree. or I guess I could just let them know I am around, in case a dentistry professor doesn't show one day and they need a sub.

Luke said...

It sounds like you are mocking cancer patients. I am not sure the MOHLTC would take to kindly to this treatment of a sensitive and difficult subject which affecs thousands of Ontarians.

simon said...

strikes me that I am mocking dentists. do you skim my blog? please upgrade to full reading with indepth textual analysis.