Thursday, March 22, 2007

help I am going to be kidnapped

following the successful removal of our old dishwasher, and the quasi-successful installation of our new dishwasher (I was using so many tools. I am such a man) we were left with an old dishwasher blocking our front hall. fearing that this appliance posed too great a fire hazard to wait until its scheduled removal next week, I found another store that claimed to remove old appliances:

said in a thick russian accent: "hello"
"um... is this 'appliance centre'?"
"yes this is appliance centre, what you want?"
"do you remove old appliances?"
"yes we can remove old appliance. for small... uh... disposal fee"
"okay, how much would that be?"
"one moment. I think. okay thirty five dollar," said the russian. "plus some taxes."
"do you take credit cards?"
"no, cash better. thirty five dollar, cash. where you live?"

so I foolishly gave him my address and set up an appointment for this evening. he closed our conversation by reminding me about the taxes. it is good to see that the service industry is so conscientious about paying the government its due.

but my friend just called back and moved our scheduled time up an hour or so. now I have no time to put my elaborate plan of booby traps into action. so if you do not hear from me after this, I am probably in moscow running errands for the mob.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Update please!

Anonymous said...

patience Jules! Even if he wasn't kidnapped, Simon needs some time to recover from the tool use . . .

simon said...

everyone, please rest assured that I am safe and sound. the russian came and collected his money (plus some taxes) and carted my dishwasher away.

the new dishwasher is still leaking a little. it appears I will have to break out the tools once again.