Friday, February 23, 2007

the fridge stinks

there is so much aroma coming from our fridge right now. even the magnetic seal of the fridge door is powerless to contain the stench. the pungent fumes fill the entire kitchen, let alone the fridge itself, let alone the deli drawer where lives the source of this heady perfume.

you see, this morning, upon finishing my exam, I trekked up to loblaws in order to sate mila's need for bacon. browsing the case of quebec cheeses, as I am wont to do, I saw none other than the 2006 canadian cheese grand prix winner (overall and washed rind), la sauvagine. indeed, if you hurry there may still be a small wedge left.

for those interested, I also procured some bleu benedictin, a quebecois blue apparently made by monks (though I see no mention of cheese making between matins and eucharist. perhaps they do it on their day off). this creamy blue walked away with top honours in the 2000 canadian cheese grand prix, as well as taking the prize for top blue, of course. tasting notes to come. finally, a goat's milk from the makers of la sauvagine - chevre d'art. my experience with this cheese during my lunchtime tasting was less than thrilling, though I will give it another try. I am not optimistic. tellingly, I see no cheese awards on this dud's cv.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Some baking soda might help, Simon