Tuesday, August 29, 2006

observations on canoe

many sweet things in a recent article about canoe, a toronto eatery. for easy reading, a list:

1) “a recent $408.24 delivery of bison.” that is so sweet.
2) they google their VIPs. I hope to one day be a restaurant VIP, or else to work at a restaurant and google some VIPs.
3) last year canoe spent $74,000 on foie gras. I wonder how many lobes that works out to.
4) canoe documents “moments of truth” in which a server goes out of his or her way to please a customer. I would trade half of my $408.24 worth of bison to read that document. I love service excellence.
5) canoe’s servers are allowed to carry only two dishes at a time. four-top? team service I LOVE WELL EXECUTED TEAM SERVICE.
6) the S on each spiegelau wine glass must face the tip of the place setting’s knife. I LOVE ATTENTION TO DETAIL
7) THE SALT SHAKER ON EACH TABLE MUST FACE SOUTH. MY BRAIN IS EXPLODING WITH HOW AMAZING THAT IS. THEY CARE SO MUCH ABOUT YOUR DINING EXPERIENCE I LOVE THAT.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it! Nice post!!!

Anonymous said...

Assuming a very generous estimate for the price per pound that Canoe gets from its purveyors (at $80 a pound, which is atrociously high compared to the $50-$60 one can find for Grade A at various Toronto butchers), that is still 925 pounds of foie in a year. That is 18 and a half pounds per week assuming that Canoe closes for 2 weeks in total at various points throughout the year, which is a not unreasonable assumption. I would say that is pretty sweet. That is 3700 VERY GENEROUS 4 oz servings of foie per year.

Toronto needs to do its share to make up for the collapse in foie demand following Chicago's inhumane bylaw prohibiting the sale of the product. Somebody needs to take that city to the Supreme Court or the Hague. Isn't denying citizens foie a war crime?

Anonymous said...

anonymous: if you love it so much, why don't you get married there.

simon said...

aldous, $80 seems outrageous for wholesale foie, I suggest you find a new purveyor. I think $40 is more than ample, which would double your figures. furthermore, who is to say that anthony does not occasionally buy some grade b for his torchons and terrines? I heartily suggest you rethink your cost analysis. did you not take economics?

Anonymous said...

I had very poor service last time I was at Canoe so I think that the staff I had did not receive proper training. I am currently boycotting Canoe. So they will not have to google me.

Nick said...

Simon, which direction would they point the salt shakers in if the table were located on the magnetic south pole? Also, didn't you once tell me that the best restaurants don't let their patrons salt the food themselves, since it has already been perfectly seasoned by the chef?

Anonymous said...

Nick: It's lunch. Therefore lowbrow? After all, they serve a lobster club sandwich.

Or perhaps they are ironic, faux salt shakers.

simon said...

mom, your boycott list in TO currently includes susur, the fifth, north 44, splendido, avalon (you showed them), preemptive perigee, canoe and god knows what else. you will soon run out of places to eat.

nick, perhaps the business men would get nervous if there weren't a salt shaker on the table. I am curious how often they get used. and what do they fill them with? I find most shakers preclude the use of anything but that terribly astringent iodized table salt.