Tuesday, June 20, 2006

opera please get a dress code

the new opera house in toronto is pretty sweet. I would not say it is luxe, but I think it is a pretty good space and it feels pretty intimate even up in the cheap seats. I went there at the end of my week in toronto for one of the opening concerts. the program was pretty diverse, which was a pleasant surprise.

equally diverse, and unfortunately rather unsurprising, was the standard of dress of the patrons. friend in the jeans and the untucked american eagle shirt: you are at the opera. buddy in the black dockers with white athletic socks: you are also at the opera. the singers managed to get dressed up. the musicians managed to get dressed up. I managed to get dressed up. it would not kill you to wear a jacket, you know. dress pants? they are actually just as comfortable as your cargo pants, honest. okay, I realize that nowadays the opera is all about trying to be accessible and accommodate young people and so on, but seriously that is a bad plan. with that in mind here are my suggested themes for upcoming seasons: "elitists drinking bubbly before the show" or perhaps "everyone in black-tie" or what about "cognoscenti mingling at intermission."

No comments: